Dairy products are versatile and can be part of any meal or snack during the day. It is recommended that three servings of dairy are consumed every day. It is also important to remember that milk and other dairy products are kept in a refrigerator and cooled to below 5°C.
Some examples of a single serving are:
- 1 glass or cup of maas / drinking yoghurt (250 ml)
- 2 tubs of 100 ml each yoghurt (200 ml)
- 2 slices of your favourite cheese (40 g)
You can include dairy in your daily diet by:
- topping crumpets or French toast with your favourite yoghurt or cream cheese
- choosing flavoured milk as a recovery drink after sport
- drinking a fruit smoothie made from yoghurt and fresh fruit
- adding milk to your cereal or porridge
- eating yoghurt as a snack between meals
- mixing a teaspoon of coffee and a teaspoon of hot chocolate into a cup of hot or cold milk for a homemade mocha coffee
- adding cheese to a sandwich
- choosing maas, milk, flavoured milk or drinking yoghurt as a beverage
Try and make the following smoothie at home for fun.
- 1 medium Banana
- 125 ml Mixed berries
- 2 Tbl Peanut butter
- 125 ml Vanilla yoghurt
- Approx. 90 ml Milk
Blend banana and berries to a pulp.
Add peanut butter and yoghurt, blend.
Add milk to meet desired consistency.
Tip: Freeze banana and berries the night before for a different textured smoothie.